From the Provost — April 28, 2020
College of Engineering leadership announcement
David B. Williams, PhD, has advised me that he will be stepping down next year as dean of the College of Engineering when his second five-year term expires in 2021, at the end of the upcoming academic year. A search advisory committee has been created to recommend his replacement.
Over the last decade, the College of Engineering has experienced unprecedented growth in faculty numbers and diversity, student quality and diversity, research expenditures, infrastructure investment and external fundraising. In total, the college serves more than 10,000 undergraduate and graduate students, supports 950 faculty, research scientists and staff, and leads a $150 million-a-year research program.
Dean Williams has also helped establish key partnerships between the university, local and state governments, the Ohio business community, and regional and national partners, including Battelle, Boeing, GE, Honda, NetJets, Wright Patterson Air Force Base and NASA Glenn. More information about Dean Williams’ tenure at Ohio State is available on the College of Engineering website.
Gretchen Ritter, vice provost and executive dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, will chair the search advisory committee, which also includes:
- Lisa Abrams, professor of practice, Department of Engineering Education
- Tanya Berger-Wolf, professor, Department of Computer Science and Engineering; professor, Department of Evolution, Ecology and Organismal Biology; professor, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering; faculty director, Translational Data Analytics Institute
- Karen Dannemiller, assistant professor, Department of Civil, Environmental and Geodetic Engineering; assistant professor, Division of Environmental Health Sciences, College of Public Health
- David Eckmann, professor, Department of Anesthesiology; director of the Center for Medical & Engineering Innovation
- Pelagia-Iren Gouma, Edward Orton Jr. Chair in Ceramic Engineering; professor, Department of Materials Science and Engineering; professor, Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
- Giselle Guanes Melgarejo, graduate student and research associate, Department of Engineering Education
- Chris Hammel, professor, Department of Physics; professor, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering; director, Center for Emergent Materials; Ohio Eminent Scholar
- Kay Bea Jones, professor, Knowlton School of Architecture
- Lisa Mayhugh, associate director, ElectroScience Lab, College of Engineering
- Umit Ozkan, chair and professor, Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering
- Farhang Pourboghrat, chair and professor, Department of Integrated Systems Engineering; professor, Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
- Brett Roubinek, president and chief executive officer, Transportation Research Center
- Mo Samimy, Nordholt Professor, Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
- LaTonia Stiner-Jones, assistant professor of practice, Department of Biomedical Engineering; assistant dean of graduate programs, College of Engineering
- Morley Stone, senior vice president for research
- David Tomasko, professor, Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering; associate dean for undergraduate education and services, College of Engineering;
- Kay Wolf, senior vice provost
Please join me in thanking Dean Williams as he continues his distinguished leadership as dean and our colleagues for serving on this pivotal search.
Bruce A. McPheron, PhD
Executive Vice President and Provost