Information Needed for Hire HRA
- Employee Name
- Employee ID (for current/former/future students at Ohio State, may not be available for non-Ohio State student appointments)
- Pay rate for hire – Hourly or Monthly rate only, annual salary option is not sufficient for student appointments
- Position Number
- Proposed Start Date – Please allow 10 business days for processing with a background check, 3-5 for all others
- Manager/Reports To name and eTimesheet Supervisor for approvals
- Webclock box checked if student should requires in/out webclock functionality for time reporting
- Department Number
- Funding chartfield
- Work Location, please include the room number when possible
- Standard weekly hours (please review additional resources for summary of hour maximums)
- Student’s Ohio State email (firstname.lastname@example.org only for Ohio State students)
- End employment date if known
- Please note in Additional Information if a background check is required
Letter of offer for students is recommended to clarify position details.
Hire Process Timeline
Please set proposed start date to allow a minimum of 10 business days for background check completion, including time for HRA approval. If no background check is required, please provide 3-5 business days for processing. Student employees cannot begin working until the background check is complete, when one is required.
The student employee will receive a “welcome email” from the service center within one business day of final approval of the request. This email explains the necessary steps including some/all of the following: background check authorization process, DocuSign paperwork, scheduling website for those that require a service center visit, and the identification documents required at that visit for the I-9. Supervisors and unit HR contacts will be included on the welcome email. The hiring process may vary by employee based on Ohio State work history.
The student employee will be entered into the employment database and receive a “follow up email” within one business day of completion of all hiring steps, including a visit to the service center when required. If the student does not bring necessary identifications to the service center visit, they will need to return with those documents before beginning to work.
Supervisors may not allow student employees to begin working until they receive the follow up email confirmation from the service center. Implications of noncompliance may include violation of the Federal I-9 Regulations, OPERS exemption ineligibility, invalid timesheet tracking, delayed payroll setup, and more.
HRA Request Approval Workflow
1st/2nd Level Department Approvers (varies by unit) and Final Service Center Approval.