The Emeritus Academy, under the auspices of the Office of the Provost, invites applications for membership. Ohio State University faculty members over the course of their careers have developed a rich record in the scholarship of research and creative accomplishments; teaching and learning; and outreach and engagement. The Emeritus Academy is designed to provide an avenue for their continued work as scholars and their continued engagement with the university, to the benefit of students, fellow faculty members, the Ohio State community, and the state, the country, and the world at large.
Membership in the Emeritus Academy is for an initial term of five years, with the possibility of renewal. For selection, it is expected that persons are actively involved and productive in an area of research or creative activity; pedagogy or educational advancement; disciplinary/ interdisciplinary leadership; and/or outreach and engagement. Examples of such activity typically include one or more of the following:
- Recent publication of research papers and/or books, and specific plans for future publications
- External funding of research
- Leadership roles in learned societies and/or scholarly journals
- Solicited lectures, performances, or exhibits
- Activities impactful upon a scholarly discipline or society in general, e.g., expert congressional testimony
ELIGIBILITY FOR MEMBERSHIP
- Granted emeritus status by the Board of Trustees
- Currently involved in productive activities consistent with the University's academic mission, broadly defined, such as the scholarship of research or creative activity; the scholarship of educational advancement and pedagogy; or leadership in a discipline or in outreach to the broader community
- In the usual case, the Emeritus Academy candidate will have a sustained record of scholarship, typically having achieved the rank of full professor
- Continued ties to Ohio State, demonstrated through the use of the Ohio State affiliation in creative and scholarly works or ongoing activity on campus
The online application for entry into the Academy requires the following:
A narrative of that describes:
- The nominee's scholarly activities and accomplishments since achieving emeritus status. Full citations should be given for publications and equivalent creative activity.
- The individual's continued ties to Ohio State should be described if other institutional affiliations exist.
- The nominee's plans for continued engagement in research, scholarship, and/or creative activity over the next five years. (Suggested length of narrative: 500-700 words. Applicants may wish to prepare this narrative in a WORD document, then copy and paste into the online application box)
Two uploaded documents:
- An overview of nominee's scholarly career, typically in the form of a vita, list, or biosketch. The date on which the emeritus appointment began should be indicated, as well as any current institutional appointments other than Ohio State.
- An endorsement letter from the TIU head and/or the corresponding dean
Applicants may submit materials as ready and return to the application before the deadline to add additional documents (such as the endorsement letter).
Please complete the Online Membership Application form below by 11:59 p.m., Tuesday, October 15, 2019. The Emeritus Academy Steering committee reviews all applicants.
Any questions may be forwarded to the Emeritus Academy at email@example.com.