M. Scott Herness, PhD, began serving as interim vice provost for graduate studies and interim dean of the Graduate School on September 1, 2015. Since 2012, Dr. Herness has served as the associate dean of the Graduate School. In that role, he serves as the primary contact for all graduate study chairs, liaison to the Ohio Board of Regents, and oversees graduate fellowships, program development, curriculum and assessment.
Dr. Herness joined Ohio States faculty in 1997 as an associate professor in the Division of Oral Biology in the College of Dentistry, was promoted to professor in 2003 and, in 2007, was appointed chair of the division. In addition, he holds a joint appointment in the Department of Neuroscience, College of Medicine. His research focuses on sensory neuroscience with an emphasis on cellular transduction mechanisms in taste receptor cells. He has served as president of the Association for Chemoreception Sciences and his work has been published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences and has been featured on NPRs Talk of the Nation.
- Strategic leadership for graduate education
- Governance of graduate education
- Program Council, Life Sciences Network and Environmental Sciences Network
- Graduate programs and curriculum
- International collaborations
- Fellowship support for graduate students
- Career development
- Graduate associate policies
- Graduate faculty nominations
- Graduate student diversity initiatives
- Graduate student recruitment
- Graduate student and graduate program services
- Summer Research Opportunity Program