This newsletter for academic leaders is designed to share information of interest to the university community.
The semester starts!
It's exciting to have students back on campus, ready to begin the 2021-22 academic year.
Among the many welcome week events, please note that Convocation is being live-streamed this year to accommodate as many people as possible. Convocation starts at 10:30 a.m. today (Aug. 23), and the First Year Experience webpage lists information about how to watch.
We were pleased to welcome new faculty members last week during the two-day New Faculty Orientation. As a reminder, there are many resources available to all faculty, including through the orientation webpage, the Drake Institute for Teaching and Learning, the Safe and Healthy Buckeyes teaching page and the Office of Academic Affairs.
Whether instructors are teaching in person, virtually or in hybrid modes, they may want to review what's new with tools such as Carmen, Zoom and Mediasite in a roundup of the eLearning toolset at Ohio State. OCIO and ODEE also host the Teaching and Learning Resource Center, which includes the resources that were previously on the Keep Teaching website.
Trustees honor Distinguished University Professors
Congratulations to the university's 2021 Distinguished University Professors, Martha Chamallas of the Moritz College of Law and Umit Ozkan of the College of Engineering, who provided inspiring stories about their work as the Board of Trustees recognized their achievements Thursday.
To learn more about these impressive scholars, read the Ohio State News story about their backgrounds. And keep an eye on the Distinguished University Professors webpage, which will soon include videos about both of the 2021 recipients.
Other highlights from the week's meetings can be found in the Ohio State News wrap up.
Enter the Vaccination Prize Drawing
Students, faculty and staff who have been vaccinated can still enter the Vaccination Prize Drawing for a chance at season football tickets, year-long parking passes and gift cards worth up to $1,000.
The winners from week 2 were announced Thursday, and one of the grand prize winners hit the nail on the head: "I was excited, but I didn't get vaccinated to win a prize. The vaccination was, in itself, the prize," said Kristen Schoeff, an office administrative associate in the College of Dentistry.
See the Safe and Healthy Buckeyes website for information about how to enter. The deadline for the final drawing is 11:59 p.m. on Sunday, Aug. 29.
- At noon today (Aug. 23), Completing Your IR Quickly and Effectively will provide information about how to complete instructional redesign this semester.
- At noon Thursday (Aug. 26), Trauma-informed Teaching is designed to share approaches to teaching anchored in compassion, preparedness, and accessibility.
- At 11 a.m. Friday (Aug. 27), Fostering Inclusive Learning Online will discuss ways to improve online discussions, set expectations for respectful dialogue, and support student success.
- At 10 a.m. next Tuesday (Aug. 31), the Drake Institute will hold a GTA Open House to share teaching resources and toolkits and provide an opportunity for graduate teaching associates to connect with one another.
- At 10:30 a.m. next Tuesday (Aug. 31), the interactive workshop Making Your Course Accessible for All Learners will share university resources based on principles of Universal Design for Learning and accessibility.