This weekly newsletter for academic leaders is designed to share information of interest to the university community.
Three key messages to amplify
Welcome to May. We are evaluating the cadence and format of this newsletter as we head toward summer term. As always, your input and suggestions are welcome and can be shared with Rob Messinger.
Please share the following messages with your portions of the academic community.
- Commencement is May 9 and spring term begins May 13. Because of changes to the 2020-21 academic calendar, there is more time between the end of spring finals and commencement this year. Please note that with vaccinations on the rise, we are planning to return to our traditional calendar in the coming academic year, with normal fall, winter and spring breaks. The academic calendar is posted on the registrar's website.
- You can be vaccinated at the Union, Schott and many other locations: The vaccination site in the Ohio Union, which was specifically established to serve students, faculty and staff, will continue operating through at least Friday, May 7, in the Performance Hall. The Union site is open from 11 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. Appointments at the Union or at the Schottenstein Center can be scheduled through MyChart or by calling the Wexner Medical Center COVID-19 vaccine hotline at 614-688-VAXX;(614-688-8299). Information about these sites and many other vaccination locations throughout Ohio are listed on the Safe and Healthy vaccination page.
- Applications sought for faculty ombudsperson: Ohio State is launching a search to fill the vital role of faculty ombudsperson, who serves as an independent resources to assist faculty members. Applications are due Monday, May 17, 2021. For more information, visit the OAA website.
Promotion and tenure discussion
Register now for a panel discussion on creating dossiers for promotion and tenure to describe interdisciplinary and transdisciplinary scholarship and creative expression. The panel, which will take place from 12 p.m. to 1:30 p.m. on Wednesday, May 19, will feature Helen Malone, vice provost for academic policy and faculty resources.
Other upcoming events
- Starting at 9:30 a.m. Wednesday (May 5), this year's virtual Innovate conference will explore advancements, best practices and provocative approaches to teaching and learning with technology. Maha Bali, of the Center for Teaching and Learning at American University in Cairo, will deliver the keynote address, "Building Community with Equity and Care," at 2 p.m.
- At 10 a.m. Wednesday (May 5), Guiding Students to Wellness will train faculty, staff and graduate/professional students to access wellness-related resources across Ohio State's campuses, particularly resources focused on nutrition/food insecurity, mental health, sexual violence and financial wellness.
- At 10 a.m. next Monday (May 10), a Recovery is Spoken Here training for faculty, staff and students will offer resources for connecting students with the Student Life Collegiate Recovery Community and for fostering an environment where students seeking recovery or who are in recovery can feel celebrated and supported.