Documents, Forms, and Resources
Responding to a Student Death, Serious Injury, or Personal Crisis (http://studentaffairs.osu.edu/wellness_advocacy.asp )
- Responding to a Student Death
- When a member of the university community learns of a student’s death, he/she should contact the Student Advocacy Center (SAC) at 292-1111. That office is responsible for the necessary university-wide activities. If after-hours, Wexner Security should be contacted at 292-7677.
- In the event of a student death on or near campus, the family will be contacted by the campus or local police. Campus police will coordinate with community police forces so that the family is contacted in person.
- Upon learning of a student’s death, SAC will respond, as appropriate, to questions from sources outside the university and will proceed to notify the Office of the President, the Vice President for Student Affairs, the Office of Academic Affairs, and the relevant College Secretary, who, with assistance from SAC, will notify the student's academic advisor, current instructors, the University Registrar, and other university offices, as appropriate.
- If the individual is a graduate student, the department chair will be notified. The chair will in turn inform the student’s advisor and instructors. The Graduate School also will be notified by SAC.
- Responding to a Serious Injury or Personal Crisis
- When a member of the university community learns that a student has been injured, is seriously ill, or is involved in a traumatic personal incident, he/she should contact the Student Advocacy Center at 292-1111.
- SAC will notify University Police of a rape or sexual assault. The student has the right to refuse to disclose details of the rape or sexual assault and has the right to withhold her or his name from the police.
- Responding to Students with Behavioral Issues
- If a student poses a threat to an instructor, another student, or to him/herself, available resources include: