Faculty and Staff — March 19, 2020
Tenure-track faculty: Extension of tenure clock due to COVID-19
Ohio State recognizes that the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic has created circumstances that prevent or interrupt faculty progress toward professional and scholarly achievement. This problem is especially critical for faculty working toward tenure within a limited and specified timeframe. Therefore, we are offering automatic approval for a one-year extension of the probationary period to all applicable tenure-track faculty.
Who is eligible?
Eligible faculty are ALL tenure-track faculty who are in their probationary period during Spring 2020.
What does it mean to opt in?
- Faculty who opt in will automatically be granted a one-year extension to their probationary period (i.e., tenure clock).
- Faculty who opt in and who have not yet completed their 4th year review may choose to move their 4th year mandatory review, or only the mandatory tenure review. That is, faculty may continue with their mandatory 4th year review (in the originally scheduled year) AND move their mandatory tenure review. Or, faculty may move BOTH their mandatory 4th year review and mandatory tenure review by one year.
- If faculty opt in but later decide that they do not need the additional year in their probationary period, they may request a non-mandatory review following the policy and procedures laid out in each unit’s Appointments, Promotion, and Tenure document.
When do faculty have to decide whether or not to opt-in?
- For faculty whose mandatory tenure review is scheduled for Autumn 2020, they will have until May 1, 2020 to opt in.
- For faculty whose mandatory 4th year review is scheduled for the 2020–2021 academic year and who wish to move their 4th year review, they will have until May 1, 2020 to opt in.
- For faculty who wish to retain the 2020–2021 schedule for their mandatory 4th year review but wish to delay their mandatory tenure review, they may opt in for that extension until April 1 of the academic year immediately preceding their mandatory tenure review.
- For all other tenure-track faculty in their probationary period, they may opt in until April 1 of the academic year immediately preceding their mandatory tenure review.
How do faculty opt-in?
Faculty who wish to opt in should complete Form 116 (download using this link or on the OAA Policies, Guidelines and Forms page) and submit it via email to their TIU head. This form then will be submitted through DocuSign by the Regional Dean (where applicable), the TIU head, the Dean, and OAA. Faculty who have difficulty of any kind with form submission (e.g., with electronic signatures) should contact their TIU head for assistance.
Who should faculty contact with questions?
Faculty with questions about whether to opt in or not are advised to contact their TIU head and P&T Committee Chair.
Please contact Helen Malone in the Office of Academic Affairs with questions about process.