Why this program?
This program will assist new PhDs as they transition to the tenure track and achieve research excellence. Fellows will participate in the activities of their academic unit and have a designated faculty mentor. Fellows will receive research support and participate in programming offered by OAA designed to help support them in their transition to assistant professor and their success as a faculty member.
What is the overall process for the program?
- The Dean applies to OAA for a position to be advertised as a potential fellow and assistant professor simultaneously.
- After OAA approval, both positions may be posted.
- The department/college proceeds with usual hiring process for an assistant professor, including usual procedures for the eligible faculty and/or search committee.
- Potential fellows are offered the opportunity to accept the Fellow position or an assistant professor position.
- The appointment is a tenure-track instructor.
- The fellow (as tenure-track instructor) primarily focuses on research for two years. This period allows an in-depth start on scholarship. If a fellow would benefit from some teaching, consider a very light introduction to teaching, such as one team-taught course or guest lectures. The fellow is to be assigned a mentoring team. All mentoring team members do not need to be from the hiring unit. Fellows are to participate in cohort activities.
- A fellow is filling a tenure-track position, so annual reviews must occur by the TIU head.
- At the end of one to two years, the fellow will transition to assistant professor and the tenure clock will begin.
When the fellow transitions to assistant professor, does the eligible faculty vote?
No. The fellow is to be hired into the tenure-track instructor position which was advertised. Tenure-track instructor positions are, by faculty rule, faculty and must transition to an assistant professor by the end of three years. This program will only fund a maximum of two years.
When the fellow transitions to assistant professor, must we conduct a national search or request a targeted hire from OAA?
No, you do not need to conduct a national search or a targeted hire. When the fellow is hired into the original tenure-track instructor appointment, the transition to assistant professor is approved as and a component of the appointment.
Are these positions in addition to the ones that the college approves?
No, these positions must be approved by the college and will be within the usual process of each college’s decision-making for new positions. Only the funding for a fellow position is being considered in this program. Therefore, Deans must submit the application for positions to be offered as a fellow.
If the candidate accepts the fellow position, can a unit still hire for the assistant professor’s position?
There is one position. The unit either hires for the fellow or the assistant professor position. OAA will only fund candidates entering the fellow’s position.
To whom should I address questions?
Please address questions about the application process to firstname.lastname@example.org.