The ACE statement, released in 2005, includes the following principles:
- Academic freedom and intellectual pluralism are core principles of America's higher education system.
- Government's recognition and respect for independence of colleges and universities is essential for academic excellence.
- Colleges and universities should welcome diverse beliefs and the free exchange of ideas.
- Grades and other academic decisions should be based solely on considerations that are intellectually relevant to the subject matter.
- Neither students nor faculty should be disadvantaged or evaluated on the basis of their political opinions.
- Any member of the campus community who believes he or she has been treated unfairly on academic matters must have access to a clear institutional process to address grievances.
Ohio State's formal endorsement of these principles in 2006 publicly acknowledged our unwavering commitment to academic freedom, respect for multiple points of view, and the civil and open discussion of these views.
The university provides clear mechanisms for addressing the concerns of those who believe they have experienced treatment that is inconsistent with that commitment.
- Faculty who have concerns about possible infringements upon academic freedom or responsibility may address these concerns to the University Senate Committee on Academic Freedom and Responsibility.
- Faculty and students may refer to the faculty rules associated with issues of academic rights and responsibilities: Chapter 3335-8 Instruction (23 - Alteration of Marks)and Chapter 3335-5 Faculty, Governance, and Committees (4 - Hearing procedures for complaints against faculty members)
Other Sources of Information
- Office of Undergraduate Education: Complaint, Grievance, and Appeal Procedures
- University Center for the Advancement of Teaching: Instructor Rights and Freedoms in the Classroom
- Rules of the University Faculty: Academic Freedom and Responsibility
- AAUP 1940 Statement of Principles on Academic Freedom and Tenure and statement on professional ethics